Practical Introduction to Social Sustainability
5 ECTS | 50€ | On-site in Turku | 1-30 August 2023 with contact teaching 7-18 August 2023
Social sustainability is an aspect of sustainable development that is at the same time connected to multiple academic disciplines and to everyone’s everyday life and is thus relevant for almost every and any student.
It is simultaneously theoretically intriguing and practical. This course explores the basic theoretical underpinnings of social sustainability and puts them to practical use. Learning about social sustainability enables students to better understand the connection between their field of study, society, and sustainability.
Participants are encouraged to personally reflect on what their professional role in a sustainable society can be.
After the course, the student will be able to
- Discuss what social sustainability is and how it relates to other aspects of sustainability.
- Argue for the relevance of social sustainability.
- Use different indicators to assess social sustainability.
- Describe the policies and actions that affect social sustainability.
- Understand the connection between social sustainability and resilience.
Lectures, group work, project work, presentations.
Åbo Akademi University
No previous studies are required. The course is suitable for anyone interested in sustainability, in human well-being, human societies and their resilience.
5 ECTS equals 135 h of work for the student and will be divided between a pre-task, lectures, assignments, discussions, and a course project.
Learning materials will be made available online. For the project work, students may need to search for relevant literature or other sources.
Max. 40 students